Friday, January 25, 2008

Nest in our Garden, Kodagu



I was plucking flowers for Thayi’s morning pooja. Suddenly a bird flew out from the nearby bush. I discovered a little nest made of twigs resting in the center.

I kept a daily tab on the bird. I wanted to protect the nest from my Grandma’s cat, Subbu. So I placed some thorns around the bush.

Her tenacity amazed me. She persistently collected twigs, straw and other scarp to build a nest. She worked hard until she achieved her goal - a cozy little nest for her baby birds.

Later we found three eggs in the nest. Every time we approached the bush, the mamma bird twittered angrily and flew away, then perched on a nearby electric wire and warbled.

It’s a pity that I had to leave before the eggs were hatched.
Writer- Ponnappa, 9 years

No comments: