Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Umbulu


Picture of a Leech


I live in a crowded metro with my parents. When I go to Coorg during school breaks, I enjoy myself to the core. In May I stayed at thata mane for a week. I woke up one day and insisted on a nature walk. I promised Ma and Pa that I was going to be brave if I spotted any horrid creatures in the thota.

It started off as a pleasant walk. We ignored laborers who warned us about abundant red ants, occasional snakes and leeches. The trouble started when I felt something crawling up my pants. I was horrified when I found something wiggling on my foot. It was a LEECH(umbulu). We abruptly ended our nature walk and rushed back home.
When we checked again, there were three fat leeches slurping blood from my foot. Daddy tried to yank one off. Big mistake! In A minute, my pant was soaked with blood. I cried in horror and soon a crowd of laborers/family gathered around me. For the laborers it was sheer entertainment.

Thatha screamed at Ma for pulling off the leech (leeches leave their teeth under your skin soon resulting in nasty ulcers) Thayi applied some 'chunna' while I cried. Like magic the umbulu just rolled off my foot and fell to the ground. Thatha’s driver burned off the leeches with a lighter. I was baffled when I heard a crackling sound as it burned!!

It took five people to calm me down. I was totally traumatized by the leech experience and vowed never to return to thatha’s estate!

But then, the beauty/love of Kodagu beckons me again!!

By Junior(9 years old)
Wrote this with help from momma :)

6 comments:

m.flowerr said...

Umbulu.........terrible monsters:-)

Ponapa said...

m.flower,
thanks for visiting my blog :)
Yup, they are terrible.

Devaiah A M said...

Very well narrated I liked reading your UMBULU EXPERIENCE..:) chai inth..

Ponapa said...

Thanks Mr. Devaiah!

Vidyu said...

Junior! that was very well narrated! :) Never knew some of those lil details!
Gosh! how did u think of writing on this topic? :) Love it! :) I better be careful when I go to Coorg next :)

Ponapa said...

Thanks Vidyu mami:)