Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Deadly Stroll !!



A walk in the coffee thota can be a tactile adventure for a child raised in a city. During holidays, we spent a lot of time in Coorg. My son was then 7 and had never been to a coffee thota. So I promised to take him on a nature walk!!!
Dad’s plantation is located on a hill. My son and I climbed the hill one evening. The long and difficult ascent was quite a challenge.


We crossed the dip and went up along the uneven hillside. When we reached the crest, he was awed by the breathtaking view. The verdant vista stretched to the far horizon.


No voice of man, no whir of traffic! The birds chirped merrily. Frogs and insects chorused loudly. I handed him the camera and he snapped pictures of trees, plants, birds and insects. Away to the left the hill dropped steeply. All of a sudden, my boy ran down like roadrunner, flinging his arms out, shrieking. I watched in horror as he ran down the slope. The light was already dim, the path was narrow and he was soon at the far edge of the steep hill. Below I could see the roof of my house. With appalling suddenness my boy’s scream came to an end. When I rushed to the accident site, the victim lay perfectly still; fatally injured.

A tiny DEAD frog under his tiny foot!
Thank God for a laborer who was chopping wood in that area. My son was saved in the nick of time!! Or else the victim would have been my CHILD!!

No comments: